One of the most important things we can teach our students is how to deal with real world tasks. Global is a precious resource to do so. Students often ask to talk about health, health problems and how to deal with doctor–patient conversations. Global Elementary Unit 9 ‘Function globally: talking about health problems’ is ideal for this.
To start our lesson we revised body parts and basic health issues, using some flashcards. Once we revised body parts, we played a game. Students had to point the body part they heard me saying. I then asked each student to play my part, and tell us three body parts that we all had to point to. I then asked them to look at the pictures on the top of the page. In pairs, they had to describe the pictures, with the aid of the ‘Useful Language’ box in the page.
We then moved on to the listening task. They had to listen to two conversations and match them to two of the pictures they had just looked at. After checking answer, we listened to the conversations again and completed exercise 2 (true or false task).
After the listening task we focused on the language. In the ‘Language focus’ section there’s a conversation between patient and doctor. I rewrote the conversation and cut it up into strips of paper. I paired students up and asked them to build the conversation again, paying attention to who was the speaker, either the doctor or the patient. After checking their answers we looked at the second task in the section. Here they had an example of common health problems. Using the words given into brackets, they had to build similar sentences to the ones given. This helped them to recognise a common pattern in health related expressions (e.g. toothache, earache, backache). We then listened to the track on the CD to check their answers.
We then moved on to the ‘Speaking’ section. Students had to make up a conversation at the doctor, similar to the ones we listened to and read earlier on. They could use the example given in the section as an example as well, and health problems we revised. Students worked in pairs and I monitored them and helped when needed. Once their dialogues were ready, they had to act them out for the rest of the class.